Today is the first day since lockdown where I haven’t felt the need to be ‘on the go’. I’ve been forcing myself to be productive all this while, but there’s something to be said for embracing one’s feelings and allowing oneself to be lazy. It’s not necessary to be doing something at all times!
One thing I’ve been enjoying during lockdown, even on lazy days like today, is reading the random newsletters that flood my email inbox. Every service I have partaken of, every online retailer I have shopped at, every hotel I’ve stayed at, every blogger and magazine I’ve subscribed to, and every airline I’ve travelled on; is now sending me well curated newsletters with attractive content.
It’s a known fact that businesses are building their digital presence, unsure of what the future holds. Staying in touch with their existing customer base through email newsletters is the first step in this digital expansion.
I’m particularly enjoying reading engaging articles, trying out recipes, imbibing self-care and meditation tips, attempting easy exercise routines, and learning new things via free online sessions, through these newsletters. Today, I thought I’ll share my favourites with you, in case you’d like a dose of quick and high-quality information in your inbox too! Just click on the highlighted blue titles to go to the respective websites where you can sign up for these newsletter subscriptions.
MY FAVOURITE EMAIL NEWSLETTERS DURING LOCKDOWN:
- EXPLORING THE WORLD FROM THE COMFORT OF HOME:
- TRIPADVISOR– for information on cancellation policies of airlines and hotels as well as air travel FAQ’s addressing queries of these difficult times
- CONDE NAST TRAVELLER– currently offering a one-month free subscription to its digital archives as well as access to the latest edition
- LONELY PLANET TRAVEL NEWS – virtual visits of museums and other iconic sites around the world
- HEALTH, WELLNESS AND SELF-CARE MANTRAS:
- ADIDAS RUNTASTIC– nutritious recipes, exercise regimes and tips to stay healthy
- ANANDA SPA– this wellness retreat sends out regular 14-day weight loss programs with exercises/ yoga asanas / meal plans included
- NICOBAR– This clothing brand focusses on sustainable living, along with mellow music playlists and free meditation sessions
- YOUR BEAUTY & FASHION FIX:
- POPSUGAR- I enjoy glimpsing through celebrities’ outfits and the latest trends on this American website’s newsletter
- REFINERY29– Similar to the above, this American website also has some interesting political articles and highly addictive ‘money diaries’ series
- VOGUE- All magazines under the Conde Nast banner are currently free for a month along with free access to past issues
- NYKAA- my favourite online makeup site is sending out interesting articles on a daily basis
- GUIDES TO YOUR PARENTING WOES:
- MARION HOPFGARTNER OF TLI PEDAGOGICS- the founder of this Austrian primary school education system makes short and simple youtube videos guiding parents through this unprecedented crisis
- DR. SHIMMI KANG OF DOLPHIN POD- this Canadian education system seeks to supplement early learning programs through its unique interactive methods, and is currently hosting free online sessions for young children on a daily basis
- ALL THINGS BABY- this online retail site organizes fun book-reading sessions with writers and celebrities
- YOUR PICK OF ENTERTAINMENT:
- BOOK MY SHOW- arranging concerts, comedy shows, plays and curating ‘what-to-watch-next’ lists
- ALL STREAMING SUBSCRIPTION SERVICES– I receive the latest updates from all my subscription streaming services, so I know about the latest movie and TV show releases every week
- MOBILE NETWORKS– your mobile service provider often ties up with online entertainment providers and shares information on what to watch on which platform
- PENGUIN RANDOM HOUSE– tells you about exciting new book releases and shares essential reading lists based on preferences
- GOODREADS– for the best book related information
- TRY OUT RECIPES GALORE:
- ANANDA- easy, tasty and healthy recipes from their in-house kitchen
- OBEROI HOTELS– their best recipes with a specific focus on immunity building
- TAJ RECIPE BOOK– from the kitchens of the Taj Hotels
- ALL-IN-ONE INFORMATION PORTALS:
- CONDE NAST
This is by no means an exhaustive list. These are just the newsletters that I receive in my inbox which I find useful. Your bank may also send you interesting information, including e-versions of national newspapers.
Hence, my tip to beat lockdown blues today, is to rummage through your email inbox or junk folder, and find newsletters that may be useful to you. I’m sure you’ll find some or many gems!
Since there are no TV shows that I’ve seen from the letter Q, I have a movie recommendation instead:
“Queen” starring Kangana Ranaut is the story of a naïve Indian girl who decides to go on her European honeymoon all by herself, when her fiancé ditches her at the altar. This movie was well-made and struck all the right chords. Even if you’ve seen it before, it’s definitely worth a repeat watch. Catch it on Netflix.
Do you have any idea how difficult it was to find a book I’ve read that begins with the letter Q?! Very very difficult. Finally, I settled on a title that at least contained a word beginning with that letter:
“The Mystery of Three Quarters” by Sophie Hannah is the third novel in this series, where a modern-day author recreates Agatha Christie’s iconic detective Hercule Poirot. Though Hannah’s stories are nothing in comparison to the smooth plot lines created by Christie, she writes the character of Poirot quite well, which makes her books a pleasure to read, solely for that reason.
That’s all for today folks!
Please check out my daily update videos on Instagram Stories for #LockdownWithTheLadyLawyer and follow me there to stay better connected. Also tell me your favourite TV Shows/ movies/ books/ bloggers with the letter Q?
Qal milte hai! (‘see you tomorrow’ with poetic license on the spelling!)
This post has been written for the #AtoZChallenge 2020. My theme this year is #LockdownWithTheLadyLawyer, where I’m journaling my thoughts during the coronavirus lockdown, and sharing numerous recommendations that will help keep your spirits up. Read my other posts here:
*This is not a sponsored post.
**Copyright in pictures and content belongs to nooranandchawla.com and cannot be republished or repurposed without express permission of the author. As I am a copyright lawyer by profession, infringement of any kind will invite strict legal action.